Immigration Law for Naturalization Requirements

Naturalization is how the immigrant becomes a citizen of the United States, which is a process where there is an application process and testing. The application for naturalization is Form N-400 and to apply for citizenship for a child that is under 18 years of age, the application is then the Application for Certificate of Citizenship Form N-600 or under Issuance of Certificate under Section 322 it will be Form N-600K.

This is a process that many people feel it is important to seek the assistance of a Bozeman Immigration attorney advice. They are aware of any changes in rules or regulations, and can assist in avoiding any type of errors during the application process. Prior to obtaining the application and filing out the questions, the immigration attorney list of naturalization requirements that should be discussed is what the immigration law requires. These include:

  • Being at least 18 years of age.
  • Having maintained a permanent residence in the United States for 5 years and have no special circumstances. This is a continuous residence, without leaving the United States for trips of 6 months or longer.
  • Are currently married to a U.S. citizen and living in the U.S. with this citizen for at least 3 years. Your spouse if not American born, must be a naturalized citizen for at least 3 years. A permanent residence must be maintained for 3 years without leaving the United States for trips of 6 months or longer.
  • You are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and have served for at least a period of one year. An application can be filed within 6 months of being honorably discharged from the Armed Forces. No permanent residence held in the United States is required. You must be a permanent resident on the day of your interview.
  • You served in the United States Armed Forces for less than 1 year. You must have a permanent residence for a period of 5 years without leaving the Country for trips of 6 months or longer. If you were out of the country for 6 months or longer as a part of your service with the U.S. Armed Forces this does not count against your permanent residence of 5 years.
  • If you were active duty military, serving in World War I between, the dates of April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918; World War II, between the dates of September 1, 1939 and December 31 1946; Korea between the dates of June 25, 1950 and July 1, 1955; Vietnam between the dates of February 28, 1961 and October 15, 1978; the Persian Gulf between the dates of August 2, 1990 and April 11, 1991 or after September 11, 2011. You are not required to have held a permanent residence, even if you did not reenlist, but must be a permanent resident on the day of the interview.
  • You are the widow of a U.S. citizen, who died during a period of honorable active duty in the United States Armed Forces. A permanent residence period is not required, but you must be a permanent resident on the day of the interview.

These are requirements for the naturalization process to become a United States citizen and one that may require you to seek a Bozeman immigration lawyer free consultation to discuss your criteria. The immigration lawyer questions to ask, might start with any unique elements to your residency that could have your application rejected. They have a complete knowledge of the immigration laws and can provide advice that will avoid any issues with your application.